FLORENCIA HOTEL PALAZZUOLO BOBOLI GARDENS
This park, behind the Pitti Palace, staged along the slope of the hills of Boboli (320,000 square meters) and is accessible also from the Piazza. The name was probably derived from the "Borgoli" or "Borgolini" family, who owned houses and land in this area.
The fame of the Boboli Gardens however originated with the Medici's, who called Niccolò Pericoli, nicknamed the "Tribolo", to design the garden. Between 1150 and 1558 - the year the artist died - he created the Boboli, his work of art of "green architecture".
As a model for all the royal gardens of Europe including Versailles, the park was soon enriched by creations of Buontalenti, from the fountains and statues of Amannati, Gianbologna, Tacca and in the end completed by Giulio and Alfonso Parigi (1631-1656). The two architects, father and son, constructed the Amphitheater in stone, the avenue named "Viottolone" and the square with the bath of Isolotto.
The garden was opened to the public in 1776, by will of Pietro Leopoldo.